Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Sri Lankan Christmas

A Few highlights from our trip.... I went with my friends Tracy, Joe and Diane (who all live in Kenya),
The pretty beaches of Sri Lanka. Breathtaking and simply beautiful. We were able to spend about 2 1/2 days here resting and sunbathing. We spent Christmas on the beach and on Christmas Day we watched Joe rescue a man drowning in the ocean.


At Pinnewala (I have no idea how to spell it) there is a big elephant orphanage. Here about 65 elephants big and small live and take trips two times a day down to the river. We got to see them play, roll in the mud and even got to bathe them :).

This is a rock temple. We had to climb up maybe a 1,000 stone stairs in the pouring rain to reach this place. White and beautiful on the outside and beautiful paintings and more Buddah's than I could count inside.
This is an old castle of an king of Sri Lanka. This king LOVED water and he had small ponds, natural bubbling fountians, 4 large pools to watch all of his concubines bathe and up on top of that big rock was an impressive castle (now ruins) and even a swimming pool up there. We climbed rickety metal stairs poking out of the cliffs to get up to the top. The view was breathtaking and we felt like we could see all of Sri Lanka.



An ancient temple. It was a part of another old kingdom & and if I remember right some of it was from BC!! Although I can't exactly remember when this temple was built-- but it has a chamber of treasures in the middle, but no passageway to get to it-- it's solid through!


This is yet another part of the palace that is a part of the kingdom where that temple was. Ancient & beautiful. I had no idea that Sri Lanka had all of these ancient kingdoms and ruins to explore... I felt a bit like Indiana Jones.

For more pictures- click on my photos in the right column of my blog or Click Here.

No comments: