Sunday, November 4, 2007

Been A While

Wow!! I'm so thankful for the great internet connection of Addis Ababa! I don't think that I ever thought that I'd say that (that it's great) but it really is true. I've been trying to access blogspot for the past few weeks but to no avail. I bet you thought that I didn't like writing. Well that's partly true, because I have a heck of a time coming up with things to write about-- but I do love to keep you connected and informed about life here.

Last Monday (10/29) we had another group of visitors come. Unfortunately, the day they arrived I began to feel a bit under the weather with a scratchy throat and a balloon head. I was able to get the last minute preparations in order. The team that came represented LifeLight- a wonderful Christian ministry based in South Dakota. Alan & Vicki Green (the founders of this ministry) were actually the first people that I went with to see Zeway over a year ago. It was great to see them and meet the other people of their team. It is always great to have new life and energy come through the placer.

Having Vicki and Alan return reminded me of how much has changed since I first went to Zeway as a stranger and a visitor. Simply put, it is now my home. I have seen so many changes in the project since that first visit. We have doubled the number of children involved in our child sponsorship program in Zeway to nearly 2,000 children. People from Lifelight are responsible for sponsoring over 850 of these children!

There are other changes as well. Our favor has increased with the government and as you know we were given a new building and grounds for our offices. Then over this last summer the government gave us the other half of the compound, even further expanding our offices (and allowing for me to have my own).

In July we began food support through the Canadian Food Bank for the families in the program who have the greatest need. Currently 800 children are receiving support and we are praying that it will increase to include even more children in the future.

We have started a savings group which is now its own entity outside of Food for the Hungry. Many people (primarily women) are now able to better provide for themselves through the small businesses they were able to start through these small loans.

The HIV/AIDS program was fazed out at the end of September. If you remember this program was the reason I came to Ethiopia in the first place. We are praying that the proposal for the next phase (focusing primarily on rural prevention) will be approved to begin in January.

There are simply so many changes that could be mentioned. It is simply through the grace of God and the faithfulness of those serving with Food for the Hungry which has allowed these changes to take place. Thank you for being a witness to it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to use proxies to access Blogspot and other "blocked by the Govt" sites.Google "proxies" and you will find sites that will alow you to access any banned sites.Good luck