Friday, November 23, 2007

A Weekend Trip



It's incredible how just two nights away from anywhere can feel like a vacation. I went to Awassa, a lake about 2 hours from Zeway) 2 weekends ago and it was absolutely phenomenal. I went with an Kiwi friend and a Brit on this little adventure. This place was just simply relaxing. Lush and green, located on a hill at the edge of the lake. The first time I went to Awassa I didn't really think it was all that beautiful - I only saw the lake for maybe 30 minutes but it was brown and looked like thick mud. This time it was different. I don't know if it was simply a different perspective of the lake or what it was but I felt like I was back at lake Victoria- looking over a purple blue lake at sunset with hippos in the distance and birds filling the air with their chirping and hollering. Simply relaxing. We stayed at a retreat place owned my the Norwegian Lutheran Mission. Our cottage that we had a screened in porch. We sat on it for hours chatting, reading and simply gazing out at the incredible view.

We also went out to dinner and lunch every day. There are a few restarants in the place which have foreign type food. So I ate LOTS of pizza and had a rather disappointing lasagna. There was a supermarket there (which is smaller than the size of a US mini mart) that we went to at least 5 or 6 times. i think that the people who worked there must have thought that we were absolutely crazy. My friend Broni has a truck, so I was able to bring a box full of food home with me... so the remains of my trip will last for months. I now feel relaxed and ready for whatever will come my way over the next few weeks.

No comments: