Thursday, November 29, 2007

Simply Amazing!!!

I take 2 minibus taxi's to reach my house when I stay in Addis Ababa. They're both pretty short with the first one being maybe 3 minutes (depending on traffic) and the other one being about 10. I have a small change purse that I use for quick access to money when I'm using public transportation. Well, yesterday it wasn't in the pocket I thought I put it in, it was at the bottom of my stuffed bag.

When I got on the first taxi, I realized the little change purse wasn't where I thought it was so I pulled out my wallet- I had one birr in there (for the fare of 65cents). Whew. Then I realized I needed to find some change for the next taxi. I started digging around- and put my wallet, phone and some other stuff on my lap (the taxi was nearly empty). I found some change in a pocket but a 50birr note flew out of my bag and went under the seat in front of me. So I climbed down and reached and reached and finally got the birr.

By the time I found it, we were at the bridge which was my stop. I quickly shoved all of my stuff back into my bag. By the time I my 2nd taxi arrived at our destination, I had this sinking feeling that I left my wallet on the other bus. After I got out I checked and I did forget it. I sped walked all the way home-- brewing over my stupidity, forgetfulness and my keen ability to do things too fast.

I shamefully told Mimo, Mulu, and Aynalem what happened. And was told I was careless. I agreed. I knew I would never see my wallet or money again. The bad thing was I had a credit card and my new debit card for an Ethiopian bank in the wallet. I prayed that the cards would be safe until I could report them missing.

This morning I recieved a phone call from my Ethiopian bank. They had recieved a call from a girl who had found my bank card. They gave me her number and told me to call her. She spoke only in Amharic, but I understood that she had my wallet and possibly everything that was in it. We agreed to meet in the afternoon. I traveled to an area called Arat Kilo- which is where the Universities are in town. She said to meet me at the post office there. I began to get worried that this was some sort of a set up or something, but it wasn't. I called her when I arrived and she was there the moment I hung up. She asked me for my passport, and I gave her my Ethiopian ID--so she could varify that I was who I said I was. And she handed me my wallet with EVERYTHING in it!!! I gave her some Thank-you money, took her to tea and she asked to be my friend. I thanked her and thanked her and thanked her.

Now just think to yourself how difficult it can be to find a lost wallet or purse in the US. You never know if you will get it back, or what will be there. Now, here lost stuff is simply that lost-- something that you will never see again. In fact in some ways once you've lost it, it is no longer considered yours but now belongs to the one who found it.... something only belongs to the person who has possession of it.

So many people here, have such a great need for money- my wallet was brand new and could have been sold as well as my cards. I had nearly 200birr (about $21) in the wallet- which would be a nice find for anyone. So really and truly, the fact that my wallet was returned "untouched" is an absolute miracle in itself. I am blessed beyond words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tramadol 50mg buy tramadol online cheap no prescription - tramadol hcl taken with tylenol